HomeAboutContact

Monday, July 11, 2011

CHAMPs

Last year, my school started using CHAMPs as a school-wide proactive and positive approach to classroom management. For those of you that haven't heard of CHAMPs, it stands for:

  • Conversation - can students talk during this activity?
  • Help -how can students get assistance during this activity?
  • Activity - what are students doing?
  • Movement - can students move during the activity?
  • Participation - what does active participation look like?

Here is an example of common settings in our classroom. Sorry the picture is so small, click it to enlarge it. (click to download a copy in b&w)

We update and review our CHAMPs chart at the beginning of each lesson to review behavioral expectations. I really like that the expectations are clearly stated at the beginning of the lesson, because at this age many of them need the reminder.

To create my CHAMPs board, I printed out pictures, backed them with colored card stock and mounted them onto magnets so I could use them on my white board. After a couple of weeks the kids really get a hang of the chart and the Child of the Day updates it. The kids will even remind me if I forget to update it! :) Here is a picture of our CHAMPs chart.

Do you use CHAMPs? How do you utilize it in your classroom?

15 comments:

  1. I love this! Come over and join the giveaway! have fun! littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, really love this! I would love to read about how you teach/introduce this to the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. It will be perfect to help my kindergarteners understand that expectations change based on the activity we are doing. I think sometimes at the beginning of the year it must feel like I am changing the rules all the time! There is nothing more wonderful than when your students know you well enough to be able to anticipate your expectations before you even state them. Now I need to go find some thistle girl clip art!

    Tammi
    Having Fun K-1

    TammiL(dot)13(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of CHAMPs! I tried downloading your icons, but a few of them were missing from the document. The words were there, but no picture. Any chance you could email it to me?
    Thanks!
    Sheyna
    sheyna.jensen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use CHAMPS too! I like your chart :)

    Megan

    internteachertales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing!! I love your blog! We do champs at my school and I love the icons but I am having trouble a few are missing..can you e-mail them to me? kenyonnorman@aol.com...also where did you get the finger signal sign love the visual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My school has just told us we are implementing champs. Is there any other information you can share about it? I am 100% new to it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our district started to implement CHAMPS last year while I was teaching third grade. I really loved it for the class I had. This year I have felt it has been a bit tricky with the kindergarten class. Thanks for the icons. I think this might help in working with it in kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your great resources and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My school (Inverness Primary, Citrus County, Fl) also uses CHAMPs. I'm not fond of it, but I must use it. I will be teaching 2nd grade this year. Last year was my 1st year teaching and I taught 3rd grade. Even though you created this for Kindergarten it will so work for 2nd graders! Sometimes they still need pictures instead of words to help them. I changed some things to accommodate my class and what I'm doing in my class this year. Thank you for sharing your wonderful idea with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Stephanie

    We use champs at our school. I noticed some of your icons were from the champs book but they look different than the ones offered. Where did you get them from. I use some from the champs book for conversation and I would love them to look like yours. Thanks!

    Carmen
    ckaemingk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Stephanie,

    My school district also uses champs. I noticed some of your icons are the champs icons. Yours look different than the book. Where do you get yours from? I would love to use them. I use the book conversation ones. Can you please let me know? Thanks!

    Carmen
    ckaemingk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this idea. If possible, could you email me all of your icons. Thank You,
    Liz

    long@peabodycharter.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are perfect! Anyway you could email the file to me as some of them did not show up for me either? arpriebe@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete