- Conversation - can students talk during this activity?
- Help -how can students get assistance during this activity?
- Activity - what are students doing?
- Movement - can students move during the activity?
- Participation - what does active participation look like?
Here is an example of common settings in our classroom. Sorry the picture is so small, click it to enlarge it. (click to download a copy in b&w)
We update and review our CHAMPs chart at the beginning of each lesson to review behavioral expectations. I really like that the expectations are clearly stated at the beginning of the lesson, because at this age many of them need the reminder.
To create my CHAMPs board, I printed out pictures, backed them with colored card stock and mounted them onto magnets so I could use them on my white board. After a couple of weeks the kids really get a hang of the chart and the Child of the Day updates it. The kids will even remind me if I forget to update it! :) Here is a picture of our CHAMPs chart.
Do you use CHAMPs? How do you utilize it in your classroom?